Sunday, March 9, 2014

Bottled


Started with five gallons in the primary fermenter. By the time it is bottled, the yield is about 4.25 gallons or 85%. Odd that, the bottling bucket said it had a little more than 4.5 gallons in it. Guess I had best check the graduation marks on it and the primary fermenter.

Used the last ten caps left over from a bottling event many years ago and began on the caps acquired at about the same time. They seem to be working pretty well so far.

One other interesting note. The refractometer tells me (~1.035) that it is nowhere near the FG I am looking for but the hydrometer tells me (~1.013) I am spot on. It appears that the refractometer is not a good way to check specific gravity in an alcohol/water mix. Next time we will use both for OG and FG measurements.

It turns out that the preceding paragraph is one big no shit Sherlock... Ferment Progress Using 18.75 Brix (corresponding to my OG of 1.078) as my starting point and 9 Brix (corresponding to my FG of 1.035) as my ending point, we arrive at an ABV of ~8.3%.

No comments:

Post a Comment